Powell River cares.
It has an exceptionally high number of volunteers who generously share their time and resources. Hundreds of community organizations enrich our arts and culture, provide recreational and social opportunities for youth and seniors, help new newcomers and immigrants, improve economic conditions, advance farming and agriculture, create affordable housing, assist disabled and disadvantaged residents, safeguard the environment, help our hospital and contribute in countless other ways.
We individually do what we can to donate regularly to these groups that keep our community thriving. But, contributing in this way has three shortcomings:
- Individuals and businesses just don’t have the financial wherewithal to donate to all of the worthy organizations in our town.
- When there is an economic downturn and things are toughest for those in need, times are also hard for donors—the flow of money slows and sometimes dries up.
- Our donations stop after we die, even though the need continues.
That’s where the Powell River Community Foundation comes in. Year after year, the Foundation builds up a community endowment so it can make grants to charities to supplement the gifts from other donors and continue to make donations in years when individuals and businesses don’t have extra funds. And, it keeps going for the next generation when the prior one passes on.
A community foundation makes it easy to build a lasting source of charitable funds to be used locally. Here is how it works:
- Residents donate to the Powell River Community Foundation, in addition to what they give to the other great causes they support. It can be a few dollars, a few hundred dollars or a larger amount. Donors can give once or make regular contributions. They can put a bequest in their wills. People or businesses with more resources can establish named funds within the foundation, as First Credit Union, Crossroads Village Shopping Centre, the Graeme Cooper Family and an anonymous donor have already done.
- No matter how you give, the Foundation will put your donation into the permanent community endowment and make grants only from the money earned each year. We never touch the donations, so they keep growing and growing. In that way, your donation will be a lasting legacy that will do good for today and tomorrow, and will keep on giving 50, 75 and even 100 years from now.
- The Powell River Community Foundation awards grants to a wide variety of charities. That is another special feature of a community foundation—our grant-making is 100% local.
In the 14 years since its founding, the Powell River Community Foundation has given out over a quarter million dollars in grants for:
- seniors’ housing
- women’s shelters
- women’s health
- heritage activities
- animal rescue
- ambulance services
- cancer recovery
- disabled persons
- poverty law
- salmon enhancement
- public fitness
- land trusts
- local sports
- youth activities
The grants to organizations for these purposes make a real difference to the lives of people in Powell River.
Visit www.prcommunityfoundation.com to find out more.
Another good beginning step is to talk to your accountant, lawyer or other adviser.
Feel free to give us a call at (604) 483-8678 or send us a message at info@ prcommunityfoundation.com to discuss one of the most important ways to give back to the community. You’ll be talking to a neighbour whose interest is the same as yours—how to make and keep Powell River a vital community. You’ll be happy to have started the conversation.
Your Powell River Community Foundation is working for our community today, and we’ll still be here for your children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and beyond. That’s the advantage of a community foundation